Existing Railroad Stations in New York State
In the early 1990s, I had been compiling a database of existing railroad stations in New York. After gathering about 200 stations, I decided to construct a web site. While researching these stations has been personally rewarding, I feel that sharing this information on the Internet helps others who are interested in the history and preservation of classic railroad stations.
This site has been in place since 1996 and was the first of its type, cataloging railroad stations by state, on the Internet. Subsequent states followed such as, for PA, NH, and OH.
If you have photos, send them in: email me. A small credit line at the bottom is helpful, although I can add it. The photos of the old site were small to save space back in 1996. Now I'm standardizing on something around 1600 pixels wide.
See the FAQ for what the column headings mean.
- February 24, 2022 - Added the LV station Cayuta Schuyler. It's been moved and is now a house. I've seen photos and need to get a location and photos.
- February 24, 2022 - Added the Western New York and Pennsylvania Traction waiting room and office in Olean Cattaraugus. Thanks to John Redden for this one.
- February 24, 2022 - Made a lot of progress on updating photos for Dutchess and Orange Counties with the help of Fred Heggi.
- February 19, 2022 - Made a lot of progress on updating photos for Bronx and Queens Counties with the help of Fred Heggi. Only seven remaining. Can you help?
- February 14, 2022 - Made a lot of progress on updating photos for Westchester County with the help of Fred Heggi. Only ten remaining. Can you help?
- February 8, 2022 - Made a lot of progress on updating photos for Suffolk County with the help of Fred Heggi. Only four remaining. Can you help?
- February 7, 2022 - Well, slow went to fast for updating the photos for Nassau County with the help of Fred Heggi. Only one photo left to update.
- February 2, 2022 - Slowly updating the photos for Nassau County with the help of Fred Heggi.
- January 6, 2022 - Removed the NYC Mount Vernon (Westchester) freight house. It was torn down in the early 2000s.
- November 21, 2021 - Updated the photos of the NYC Phelps stations, Ontario County, and the LV station at P&L Junction, Livingston County. All three are at the Genesee Valley Country Museum in Mumford NY. Ontario County is now done with photo updates.
- Please send updated photos in. See email below. Please try to send full-sized photos from your cell or other digital camera. A tip - if you are looking at a county, click the photo. You'll see a large version along with a history of the photos for that station below the photo. Most right now are going to have one photo. But if you look at a county I've updated, like Orleans, you'll see the current photo and an older photo. That gives you a chance to see how the station has changed. Also, if you click the main photo and it's been updated, you can see a larger version of it.
- I'll be changing the Street column over to latitude & longitude. As I work through the counties updating photos, I've noticed not only the ones with missing streets but towns that have changed street names, especially those short or dead-end streets typically found around railroad stations. So "Railroad Street" where the railroad no longer runs becomes "Veterans Way", for example. Instead of dealing with all of that, I'll just convert it to Lat/Long.
- November 2019 Re-Launch - I've converted this site to a Wiki format to make it easier to maintain. I went through over 200 emails that I received since I last updated the (old) site, and you may notice fewer stations on each county page. The majority of these removals were due to fires or tear-downs. I've also updated some photos and other facts that were sent to me. I still have emails I'm going through, so stay tuned for more updates.
- If you have photos, send them in: email me. A small credit line at the bottom is helpful, although I can add it. The photos of the old site were small to save space back in 1996. Now I'm standardizing on something around 1600 pixels wide.
- New York
- St Lawrence
Links to other NY station sites and a few in the rest of the U.S.
Please check here and help locate missing stations.
Frequently Asked Questions.